BCCI Construction Company (BCCI), a commercial contractor in California, has earned the WELL v1 silver certification for its South Bay office in Mountain View from the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI).
The WELL standard focuses on enhancing people’s health and wellness through the buildings. BCCI’s South Bay office represents the eighth WELL-certified project in California and the third in Mountain View.
By following WELL’s core concepts of health, organized in the categories of air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort, and mind, BCCI’s integrated design-build team worked together to incorporate its company culture and passion for building, while also addressing WELL’s vital concepts.
“We are thrilled BCCI has achieved WELL certification for our South Bay office, in addition to our San Francisco headquarters,” says Debbie Fleser, BCCI’s vice-president. “It not only showcases our values as a company, it also demonstrates our commitment to improving the health and well-being of our employees.”
Inside the new 929-m2 (10,000-sf) South Bay office, the company sought to be as healthy and healthful as possible. Some of the key WELL features include:
- BCCI minimized the introduction of air pollutants, such as dust, chemical vapors and other debris, during construction by following a specialized indoor air quality (IAQ) management plan and placing importance on jobsite housekeeping;
- specialized air filters in the mechanical system and a robust quarterly maintenance plan ensure healthy filtration and keep out outdoor pollutants from contaminating the space;
- building finishes, such as paints, coatings, primers, finishes, and floor coatings were vetted to limit off-gassing and buildup of volatile organic compounds (VOC) that negatively impact IAQ;
- more than 75 percent of regularly occupied spaces are within 7.6 m (25 ft) of windows so employees have ample access to natural light;
- light fixtures were selected to support occupant’s circadian rhythms; and
- all workstations are outfitted with adjustable height sit-stand desks.