This month, the American Sports Builders Association (ASBA) announced winners of its annual awards program at a technical meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana. Attendance at the event hit an all-time high, with more than 600 industry members and 60 trade show exhibitors present.
In each category (i.e. track facilities, tennis courts, sports fields, and courts and recreation facilities), winners were recognized as exceptional with Bronze Awards, Silver Awards, or the title of Outstanding Facility of the Year, with additional divisions in some categories (e.g. the tennis category honors facilities in indoor, outdoor, and residential divisions). Projects were scored individually, based on considerations such as layout and design, site work, drainage, base construction, surface, amenities, innovation, and overall impression.
In the track division:
- Cape and Island Tennis & Track received Outstanding Outdoor Track Facility of the Year for MIT Steinbrenner Stadium in Cambridge, Massachusetts;
- Medallion Athletics received the Outdoor Track Facility Silver Award for Sheila and Morris Cregger Track in Columbia, South Carolina, as well as Outstanding Indoor Track Facility of the Year for Clemson University Indoor Track (South Carolina);
- Fisher Tracks received the Outdoor Track Facility Bronze Award for ADM Community School District Stadium in Adel, Iowa; and
- Sasaki Associates received the Indoor Track Facility Silver Award for Franklin & Marshall College ASFC Schnader Field House in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
In the tennis division:
- Fast-Dry Courts received Outstanding Outdoor Facility of the Year for Trump National Doral Miami in Doral, Florida, as well as the Residential Tennis Facility Silver Award for Pinecrest Residence in Pinecrest, Florida;
- GMB Architecture + Engineering received the Outdoor Tennis Facility Silver Award for Hudsonville High School Tennis Facility (Michigan);
- McConnell & Associates received the Outdoor Tennis Facility Bronze Award for Kearney High School (Missouri); and
- Pro-Sport Construction received Outstanding Residential Tennis Facility of the Year for Lower Merion Residence in Gladwyne, Pennsylvania.
In the fields division:
- SCG Fields received Outstanding Single-field Facility of the Year for the Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium in Denver, Colorado;
- Cameron McCarthy Landscape Architecture & Planning (Eugene, Oregon) received the Single-field Facility Silver Award for the University of Oregon Jane Sanders Softball Stadium in Eugene;
- Stantec Sport Group received the Single-field Facility Bronze Award for the Cornell University Schoellkopf Field in Ithaca, New York; and
- Activitas received Outstanding Multi-field Facility of the Year for Colby College Baseball & Softball Complex in Waterville, Maine.
In the courts and recreation division:
- Jaypro Sports received Outstanding Court and Recreation Facility of the Year for Cape Girardeau Sportsplex (Missouri);
- Hinding Tennis Courts received the Court and Recreation Facility Silver Award for Kingswood Oxford School in West Hartford, Connecticut;
- General Acrylics received Outstanding Outdoor Pickleball Facility of the Year for Sun City Festival Pickleball Park in Buckeye, Arizona;
- McConnell & Associates received Pickleball Facility Silver Award as well as Outstanding Indoor Pickleball Facility of the Year for Chicken N’ Pickle in North Kansas City, Missouri; and
- Boston Tennis Court Construction Co. received Outstanding Residential Pickleball Facility of the Year for its work at Herreid-Rivet Residence in Chatham, Massachusetts.
To view a complete list of honorees, click here.